Senior technical writer, trainer, and project/team manager.
Successful in all types of information presentation, including paper,
online documentation, online help, web sites, stand up training,
computer based training, and multimedia. I'm technically savvy, and I
have great people skills.
- Tools: MS Office, FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Acrobat,
Visio, Dreamweaver, HomeSite, MS Project, PhotoShop, Illustrator,
Remedy, CVS, PerForce, Premiere
- Systems and Languages: Windows, Mac OS, UNIX
(Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD), Java/J2EE, PHP, MySQL, Apache, Raw HTML,
- Areas of experience: computer security and intrusion
protection, telephony and cell telephony, data communications, online
communities, database-driven web sites, N-Tiered applications, digital
Google, Mountain View,
Senior Technical Writer
- Provide documentation support for Network Operations
(designers and maintainers of Google's global network)
- Create documentation for internal monitoring tools
- Document the network for new hires and others who need an
- Create templates for documents created by others
- Maintain website and wiki for groups
Juniper Networks, Sunnyvale,
Senior Technical Writer
- Created and maintain Intrusion Detection and Prevention
(IDP) hardware and software Installation Guide. (FrameMaker/PDF) Also
maintain on-device configuration help system. (RoboHelp)
- Maintained IDP Administrator's Guide. (FrameMaker/PDF,
- Maintained NetScreen-Security Manager (NSM) documentation
with three other writers.
- Team lead for IDP project. Project lead for current NSM
Sana Security, San Mateo,
2004 – 2005
Senior Documentation Engineer
- Revised Administrator's Guide, Installation Guide, and
Online Help for Primary Response, a host-based intrusion prevention
software package. (Guides are in FrameMaker/PDF. Help is in JSP/HTML.)
- Worked with Marketing, QA, and Engineering to improve
product user interface.
- Wrote technical notes for customer support department.
Senior Contract Technical
2002 – 2003
Employers included: Verizon Wireless, j2 Global
Communications, PlanetOut Partners, and Sana Security
- Created and maintained Visio infrastructure diagrams for
Weblogic-based, N-Tier applications. Diagrams showed firewalls,
security configurations, server and cluster configurations, network
hardware information, and links to external systems.
- Developed web-based online help for PaperMaster Pro, an
electronic document archive system.
- Developed a web-based document storage and retrieval system
using PHP and MySQL.
- Created a glossary covering J2EE and cell telephony terms
Lithium Technologies and Gamers.com,
Senior Information Architect / Product Manager
- Founding member of Lithium Technologies.
- Wrote installation guides and end user FAQs for online
- Managed QA testing.
- Ensured timely delivery of all software to Dell, Sony,
Roxio, and Gamers.com.
- Managed relationship with ISP (Digital Island) and IT
- Acted as user advocate and promoted user-centered design
- Created system overview documentation for a
Solaris/Weblogic/Java/Oracle N-Tiered, database-driven web site.
- Wrote product requirements documents. Created, deployed,
and maintained intranet site for information sharing within the
development group. Worked with different groups to enhance
communications and information flow.
- Project Management: Managed software engineers working on
projects for external clients (Ofoto.com and Dell). Coached senior
developers, refocused project goals and reallocated resources as
necessary. Handled stress testing. Managed software build and release
processes. Worked with QA, project management, and development groups
to refine software development process.
Lithium spun off from Gamers.com in 2001.
CNET and NBC Internet, San Francisco, CA
1997 – 2000
Senior Writer - Team Lead
- Webmaster for intranet of an 80+ member technology
- Designed and created intranet help sites used by content
producers of Snap.com and Computers.com.
- Documented internal technologies.
- Coordinated new-hire technical training. (Individual
classes taught by developers.)
- Created and delivered classes on internal processes and
- Facilitated and scribed for JAD sessions.
- Created and taught classes on internal HTML- and Java-based
- Mentored junior writers.
Snap.com/NBCi spun off from CNET in 1998.
New Media Information Designer - Team
1995 – 1997
- Organized multimedia group within Learning Support
- Defined architecture, look-and-feel, and organization for a
family of seven help systems.
- Created Help files using ForeHelp and RoboHelp.
- Coordinated group of about 15 writers, programmers, systems
engineers, and quality assurance engineers in the creation, linking,
and deployment of the help systems. Introduced automated process for
archiving and deploying help systems.
- Created standards and procedures for the creation and
deployment of the help.
- Created intranet site for team processes and procedures.
New Media Information Designer
- Produced an instructional multimedia CD-ROM. Team included
a programmer, a graphic designer, and a technical writer.
- Designed overall architecture, wrote content, created
animations and interactivity using Director, Premiere, and Icon Author.
1990 – 1993
- Achieved 100% customer satisfaction for documentation of a
digital network provisioning software system.
- Wrote, edited, and published an eight-book documentation
set on a semiannual distribution cycle using Interleaf and FrameMaker.
Purdue University, West
Major: Technical Writing